CK's SPARKLE BRAID RAINBOW
Directions (right handed)
Hook: Mustad 3906, #4
Thread: Black 6/0
Tail: Red Saddle Hackle
Hackle: Black Saddle Hackle
Body: Wapsi Rainbow Sparkle Braid
1. After de-barbing the hook, place the hook in the vise. Start your thread at the eye of the hook and wrap back toward the hook bend, until you are over the hook barb.
2. Using your left thumb and index finger to firmly hold the fibers of a red hackle feather, pull the fibers off the quill.
3. You will be tying these hackle fibers on top of the hook shank and at a point over the hook barb. The tail length (from hackle fiber tip to hook bend) will be equal to the hook gape. Then wrap the thread bobbin back over the barb.
4. Place the tip of the Sparkle Braid on the top of the hook shank over the butts of the secured red hackle fibers, and tie it in. Wrap the thread bobbin back over the hook’s point.
5. Flare 3 black Saddle Hackle feathers and tie the tips in on top of the hook shank, over the hook point.
6. Wrap the thread bobbin up the hook shank until you reach a 1 hook eye distance behind of the eye of the hook.
7. Picking up the Sparkle Braid, make a snug wrap of the Braid behind the black hackles. Then wrap the Braid in front of the hackles and continue wrapping forward until you reach 1 hook eye the behind of the eye of the hook. Tie in the Braid.
8. Take the black hackles and make approximately 5 to 6 forward wraps until you reach 1 hook eye the behind of the eye of the hook. Tie the hackles in.
9. Build the head until uniform (not bulky), and whip finish. Cement if desired.